Having your house catch on fire is a frightening and dangerous experience. It's estimated that fire departments respond to 358,500 house fires per year with the causes ranging from faulty wiring to smoking in the house. Many causes are preventable if the proper steps are taken. Here are a few ways to fireproof your home.
Keep a Safe Distance
Keep woody plants and debris 100 feet away from your home. If you don’t like this option or already have mature plants, you can opt for putting in a rock bed with plants intermittently spaced throughout. If you're going to do this, choose plants with a high-water content and low amount of sap.
Irons, curling irons, space heaters, coffee pots, and other small appliances are actually responsible for fires. Even the most modern and high-tech appliances still haven’t solved the problem of electrical fires. Appliances that create heat, like irons, can overheat nearby objects, like clothing, and ignite them. Always unplug these appliances when they’re not in use, and do a walkthrough before you leave your home to ensure all appliances are unplugged.
Don’t go on vacation without unplugging appliances. In fact, you should actually turn off all surge protectors connected to TVS and other large media devices to increase fire safety while you’re away.
Candles, Matches, and Dryer Lint
Anything that provides a source of heat can also be a source of fire. Open flames, like candles, matches, and lighters, are especially dangerous. Eliminate those from the home, and you eliminate a risk factor. Many people forget to clean out the dryer lint catcher. Dryer lint is flammable. Keep the dryer clean.
This, by no means, is a complete list. Fires can start in unexpected ways and you may require help with fire damage repair in Saratoga Springs, NY , but this doesn't mean you shouldn't take the necessary steps to fireproof your home. If you'd like more tips, give the experts at Certified Water, Smoke and Fire a call 888-464-7880.